Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Went to the zoo....

There really is no replacement for drawing and observing from life. But for me, the biggest difficulty is getting caught up in the details. It's hard for me to see the whole pose or the whole image and I'm pretty guilty of noodling.

Bears are hard to draw because a lot of the anatomy is hidden under fur or fat. So you have to look at the whole body as one shape. Needless to say I had a lot of trouble when I went to the zoo a few days ago. I'll have to practice them some more.

I always remind myself that, even if I don't do a ton of good drawings, I should try to learn something from the session. Even if I only learn one tiny thing, it makes it worth the effort.




1 comment:

Bryon Caldwell said...

Hey Graham! Nice sketches! I just saw the 'Freakers Ball' intro for AAU! Very impressive work! Hope you're doing well!